The Purpose of an IEPOct 25, 2021
No really, it's the law.
IDEA, or the Individual with Disabilities Education Act, was signed into law in 1975. "The stated purpose of the IDEA is (About IDEA):
- to ensure that all children with disabilities have available to them a free appropriate public education that emphasizes special education and related services designed to meet their unique needs and prepare them for further education, employment, and independent living;
- to ensure that the rights of children with disabilities and parents of such children are protected;
- to assist States, localities, educational service agencies, and Federal agencies to provide for the education of all children with disabilities;
- to assist States in the implementation of a statewide, comprehensive, coordinated, multidisciplinary, interagency system of early intervention services for infants and toddlers with disabilities and their families;
- to ensure that educators and parents have the necessary tools to improve educational results for children with disabilities by supporting system improvement activities; coordinated research and personnel preparation; coordinated technical assistance, dissemination, and support; and technology development and media services;
- to assess, and ensure the effectiveness of, efforts to educate children with disabilities."
So many times we get caught up in the emotions of the IEP process and Special Education that we forget to step back and remember why we are here.
Special Education Parents and Teachers, Know this: The IEP is more than one meeting... it's a big deal and you are doing a GREAT job!
Get the IEP help you need with FREE IEP Training every Tuesday at www.IEPmasterclass.com
Write Better IEP Goals. Reduce IEP Conflict.